Monday, October 28, 2013

All Hallows' Eve (2013)



All Hallows' Eve (2013)

Starring: Katie Maguire, Mike Giannelli, Catherine A. Callahan

Writer and Director: Damien Leone



Synopsis (From Facebook):
While watching two children on Halloween night, Sarah find an old VHS tape in one of the kid's trick or treat bag. The tape features three tales of terror, all linked together by a murderous clown. As the night goes on strange things begin to occur in the house. It isn't long before the babysitter learns the horrifying truth... the clown is slowly making his way into her reality.


Review:
All Hallows' Eve is sadly a film with a good premise but terrible execution. I like a lot of  movies that even I can admit to being bad, so it's pretty rare when I view something and wish I had my time back. Maybe I'm not being totally fair; there are some admirable qualities in this, but they are few and far between.


The movie is obviously Halloween themed, featuring 3 stories with a wraparound- all of which in one way or another feature a clown named Art. Sarah lets the two kids stay up and watch the first story on the mystery tape. It's about a woman in a train station, who after meeting Art, becomes captive with two other females. After the story is over, Sarah deems the film too violent for young eyes and sends the kids off to bed. It's quickly apparent that all is not well in the house on this Halloween night. Sarah decides to pop the tape back in and watch the next story- a couple have just moved into a secluded house. The girl is home alone, and the house is left powerless, after what she thinks is a meteor, lands nearby. The story finishes and the eeriness in the house becomes more evident for Sarah. Still, she decides to finish the video. The third story deals with a film costume designer stopping to get gas, where she sees Art the Clown. Afterward, it's a race to stay alive. And of course, once this final story is complete, we find out just what's going on with the wraparound story, and if things are going to end well for Sarah and the two kids she is babysitting.


Let me just come right out and say that my favorite thing about All Hallows' Eve is that the original Night of the Living Dead is playing on the television during the wraparound story. Watching NOTLD on Halloween has been a tradition for me longer than I can honestly remember. So, when this flick started out with a nod like that, I was in a good mood. Then, the promise of an eerie tape found in a Halloween bag made the film seem even more on point. It very much has a V/H/S vibe to it in that respect. This film has an absolute TON of homages to it. Dialog about Art the Clown only being able to wreak havoc within the video tape screamed reference to Laurie Strode, when she talks to Tommy about the boogeyman only coming out on Halloween -not to mention, the whole babysitter-in-peril vibe throughout the wraparound. Jon and Alex Kaplan provide a Halloween Jingle insanely reminiscent of the Silver Shamrock theme in Halloween III. Additionally, Noir Deco's film score, while good, is often a near clone to John Carpenter and Alan Howarth's work in Season of the Witch... and They Live... and any other collaboration of the two you can think of. The 3Rd of the three main stories is an obvious nod to The Hitch-hiker from Creepshow 2. You can really go on an on here with pointing out homages; All Hallows' Eve carries the nods proudly on its shoulders.


Normally, I love when a film pays respect to classic moments in horror. Didn't work for me here. Matter of fact, it all just felt kinda lazy. When it got to the final story (which was admittedly my favorite) I honestly scoffed out loud over music on the radio and commercial chatter. Enough was enough at that point.


Onto Art the Clown. Usually, clowns scare me enough to piss my pants, but I wasn't affected by him in any way. It has nothing to do with the actor's performance; I think it's more or less his image. Traditional type clowns are the kind that have a creep factor- the kind that look happy and harmless. That's what makes them scary. Art looks evil from the get-go, so it doesn't really work.


A positive I have for All Hallow's Eve is the special effects. I found the gore competent and, without giving a lot away, there's some cool things you'll see in the first story.


Also, while the score by Noir Deco is so Carpenter/Howarth that it hurts, it is a good element here. There's also a Phantasm vibe in bits of it. If I'm being honest, it's probably my favorite aspect out of the whole movie.


Final Thoughts:

At the end of the day, this just didn't put me in the Halloween spirit, and I really wanted it to. That's not to say I have any disrespect against writer/director Damien Leone, as I do feel like his heart is in the right place. I'll for sure check out any further efforts and hope for the best. And hey, there's always that chance that you, dear readers, will appreciate All Hallows' Eve more than I did. If it sounds like your cup of Halloween spiked punch, by all means, seek it out. I wish you the best.


Available October 29th, 2013, from RLJ/Image Entertainment. Order HERE


- Eric (Brobocop)